Thursday, 26 July 2012

The Siege of Madrid, by Dorothy Parker

I never watch the news or talk politics, since I find it too depressing, but today one of you has said that years ago a colleague of his told him that in a few years' time the situation would be very sad as fas as education was concerned. That has made me think of what a very clever woman said 75 years ago. Unfortunately, her forward-thinking attitude did not foresee what was to come. Back then, the political scenario was certainly quite distinct from the current one and a million times more dramatic, and yet she found the strength to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is only today, when we know what «the end of the story» was, that we consider the article to be so sad as your classmate's colleague predicted these years would be. And it is all the more so because of the optimism she displays when talking about education and its importance and benefits. If you know her, you'll know that she could be considered anything but an optimist, and I suppose that is exactly what makes this article seem so absolutely hopeless. I hope you will enjoy it, though, at least as much as I did when I first read it.

                                                 The Siege Of Madrid, by Dorothy Parker



No comments:

Post a Comment